Adopt-a-Tiger Mentoring Program
· Adopt-a-Tiger is a silent mentoring program by which Toluca Lake teachers and staff develop relationships with individual students who are having difficulties.
· Adopt-a-Tiger candidates are students who are at risk or not working up to their full potential due to non-school related factors.
· Students who would be good candidates are referred to the Student Services Assistant, by the classroom teachers or the Student Success Planning Team (S.S.P.T.).
· Each staff member should adopt at least one Tiger.
· Teachers do not need to send a permission slip to adopt a Tiger in their own classroom. They do, however, need to fill out an Adopt-a-Tiger referral form and turn it in to the Student Services Coordinator. In general, teachers are not encouraged to adopt students in their own class.
· Parent permission needs to be obtained for other staff members and teachers who adopt a Tiger not in their own class.
Staff members can adopt up to three Tigers. In cases where more than one Tiger is adopted, they are encouraged to ensure that they give attention to each Tiger as an individual.
Tiger Adopter Mentor Commitments
· I will check in with my Tiger every day when possible
· I will show interest in my Tiger's:
o school performance
o dreams and aspirations
· I will encourage my Tiger to:
o Do homework
o Pay attention in class
o Behave on playground
o Make wise decisions
o Plan for a university education
· When applicable I will share information/stories about myself (that I feel comfortable divulging) with my Tiger.
· I will offer my Tiger encouragement and guidance. If problems arise I agree to be contacted by my Tiger's:
o Teacher in case of classroom or homework issues
o Administration in case behavior issue
· I will attend special school events and/ or Student Success Team meetings for my Tiger when possible.
If you have any questions please contact Aidee Ramos, Coordinator